Dear Parents,
Literacy
Your Purple Room child will have brought home a Homework folder. An introductory letter has been included in the folder. The Kindergarten children are expected to do their homework each day so they can receive the new homework. The Pre K children are to return their homework folders each Monday and should review the homework each day. Some Pre K children can receive homework more often than once a week depending on each child’s level and ability.
The Purple Room is focusing on building the sight Word Wall. Some children have already begun working on the Waseca workbooks which helps the children build and spell words with the moveable alphabet. This can only be attempted once the child knows all the sounds of the letters. This is something that is reviewed each day. Please be aware that the Purple Room focuses more on the sound the letter makes rather than the name of the letter. This will enable your child to learn to read faster and will help them understand the mechanics of the words.
Kriyah (Hebrew Reading)
As with general literacy, the Purple Room is focusing on knowing the names of the Hebrew letters before introducing the nekudos (vowels). There are some children who know the names of all the letters and are now learning how to combine the komatz with all the letters.
Math
Purple Room has been engaging with the Montessori Math beads and created number pyramids, building from nine beads down to one. This helps prepare them for the ‘Teens Boards’ which will help them understand numbers 11 – 19. They are also working on the concept of subtraction since they have to consider ‘one less than’ in every instance. Depending on each child’s level, they will or have started working with the ‘Teens Boards’. This is an activity which is conducted one-to-one with the Morah.
The children have been practicing writing their numbers.
Middos
The Purple Room Polite People are working hard on improving their Middos (character traits) by trying to swallow their food before talking at Snack or Lunch. They know this is also a safe way to eat so the food doesn’t go down the windpipe. They are also focusing on chewing with their mouths closed.
Parsha
The Purple Room learned how Hashem told Avraham to pick up and move from one place (Ur Kasdim) and follow Hashem to a place that He would show Avraham. Avraham listened to Hashem without complaint, not even to ask where Hashem was taking him to. The Purple Room Friends discussed what it would be like to travel from one place to another.
Have you ever moved from one place to another? What was that like?
Leah: Maybe I went on a trip to a playground and we saw a dead bird there. I brought a lot of things: my suitcase with my pillow, my blanket my Mom packed for me. My lunchbox. There was a kitchen there to cook. There’s two rooms. There’s two beds. I kind of sleeped with my mom. I was crying because I don’t want to share that kind of ice cream.
Ronan: We went to Texas. We got there in a car and a airplane. We brought my suitcase and I packed my toothbrushes so I won’t forget my toothbrush to brush my teeth. We went to my mom’s poppa’s, his name is Grandpère and my mommy’s mom’s name is Nanny. And that’s all.
Angie: I go on trip on the forest. I didn’t take any food. I went with Moriah. Moriah’s at Grandma’s house. We were in the cabin in the forest. In the cabin is a couch, a bathroom, carpets and a box you can put in things. There is nothing in the box.
Bracha: I was sad when we moved because I liked the old house. But I was excited for the new house.
Jemma: When we moved last year. My dad was like “Help me packing”. I was only 3 years old and I didn’t understand my dad. It was very hard for me because my parents didn’t know yet if I understand and they didn’t know if I was able to listen. So I decided to listen so I went and packed my stuff. But I was still very sad. My parents packed. They didn’t give up.
Naveed: I moved into a new house with an orange door. It has a new pool. But not a Jacuzzi. We just packed everything. Even the fridge. They also packed it up my toys.
What were some of the hard parts of moving?
Jemma: My parents were very upset at me that I didn’t listen the first time. To pack up all my blankets. I couldn’t listen because I was too sad to move.
Bracha: We have some boxes in my dining room but it’s not taped yet. One of the boxes, it’s for our new house. The hard part is unpacking the boxes. When we go to the new house. I keep on asking my mom because it’s very hard to put things in the boxes. But she says no.
Leah: I think I packed my toys. I bought toys. It was easy to move.
How do you think it was for Avraham and Sarah to travel in the desert?
Bracha: I feel bad for the man in the front. Because he’s walking (in front of the camels).
Naveed: Their feet hurt and they get a splinter.
Shabbat Shalom!
Morah Perline
No comments:
Post a Comment