B”H
Dear Parents,
Literacy
The Purple Room enjoyed using their new Letter Sound Cards this week being that the emphasis is on phonics, the sounds the letters make. This helps them learn how to sound out words.
The Purple Room friends began ‘writing’ in their journals this week. They illustrated and Morah wrote the words for them. Later in the year they may want to add some words to their entries.
All About Me
The children explored facts about themselves. They observed their eye color, their hair, the things they were wearing. After they were traced in true life size they filled in all their personal details such as details of their faces, clothing etc. They are now displayed in the hallway so they see ‘themselves’ as they walk by.
The Home Corner is now graced with the children’s family photos which the children chalk painted. They altered the pictures at their discretion: some dads’ shirts changed colored and some moms’ hair appeared dyed. ☺
Math
The Purple Room Friends were introduced this week to their Work Trays. The trays are individual work encompassing many learning skills. Some trays focus on cognitive skills, some on math, on Literacy, and some on fine motor. For example, one of the trays requires sewing, another on one to one correspondence. Once the child is finished with their tray they sign the card and return it to the shelf for another.
Kriyah (Hebrew Reading)
The Purple Room friends began creating an Alef Beis book. This week they did a crayon rubbing of an Alef for the first page in the book. Tracing the sandpaper Alef gave them sensory knowledge of this letter. Every day after sign in the children tight roped the giant Alef on the floor. They know the three lines of the the Alef are whispering a message: “Hashem loves me!”
Parsha
In this week’s Parsha the Purple Room Whizzes learned about the importance returning lost objects and being sensitive to the feelings of animals.
Song:
(TTTO: Down By the Bay)
Down by the bay
Where the watermelons grow
Somebody lost
A colored bow.
I checked the name
I gave a call,
“Did you leave a colored bow,
Where the watermelons grow,
Down by the bay?”
Down by the bay
Where the grass grows high
Somebody lost
A colored tie.
I checked the name
I gave a call,
“Did you leave a colored tie,
Where the grass grows high
Down by the bay?”
Parsha Discussion: How have you taken care of animals?
Leah: I take care of the baby chickens. I have one. I named him Pascale. I gave the chickens food.
Jemma: I‘ve never been in a barn. But when I was by my friend’s house one of the dogs had a bee in their mouth – that was Harley, the little one - and I had to help him choke it out.
Angie: I take care of Ali, he’s a dog. I put a bandage on him and doggie medicine on Ali’s mouth because he likes it. He feels better with his medicine.
Bracha: My sister had a bee sting because she went to her friendss house and I helped it get away. I put some bee medicine on it and a bandaid and it felt better the next day.
Naveed: I have a dog. His name is Phoenix. My sister only takes care of Phoenix. Lots of time he had a broken leg and he went to the vet. I only like to see a chicken.
Apples please?
In preparation for Rosh Hashana can you please send two apples to school with your child? We will be using them for many Holiday, art and math activities.
Angie: 2 red apples
Bracha: 2 green apples
Leah: 2 yellow apples
Naveed: 2 red apples
Jemma: 2 yellow apples
Ronan: 2 green apples
Show and Tell
Thank you for sending the pictures/videos of your child’s Show and Tell item this week. In the future please only send a picture of the item. If you wish your child can be holding the item. Utilizing a picture is more beneficial for this activity so that they can better develop confidence and poise in public speaking.
Please whatsapp me a picture the night before:
Monday: Naveed
Tuesday: Leah and Ronan
Wednesday: Jemma and Bracha
Thursday: Angie
Have a wonderful Shabbos!
Morah Perline
No comments:
Post a Comment